Are you confident in assessing the quality of the research you find? This is where critical appraisal and specifically using the CASP checklist for randomised controlled trials can help.
It's important that individuals and organisations develop skills in critical appraisal to help them identify the right evidence, at the right time. This course can help you understand what RCT’s are, and the key factors to look out for to assess the risk of bias and decide if the results are trustworthy.
Course details at a glance
- Training method: Online training. Learners can progress at their own page.
- Duration: This course is approximately 45 minutes. However, there is a learning section which comprises of 4 questions, therefore you may wish to set-aside 1 hour for completion.
- Access to module: Access is 12 months from the date purchase
- Certification: On completion of the course you will automatically receive a certificate of completion which you can keep in your CPD record.
- Cost: £15 (inc. VAT)
Training Course Syllabus
The “Introduction to the Critical Appraisal of Randomised Controlled Trials” course covers:
- Elements of scientific research that apply to randomised controlled trials
- What is an RCT and what are its uses?
- Summary of key points from an RCT
- What is Bias?
- Quality markers in the Critical Appraisal of an RCT
- Summary of key quality markers in an RCT
Who should attend this training course?
Health professions use research evidence in their professional practice, in professional and personal decision making, and policy & guidelines development.
- Anyone who must make decisions about someone’s care in their job or personal life.
- Health & Healthcare workers
- Allied Care Professionals
- Policy makers
- Third sector workers
“I liked that the content was clear, concise, and useful. It gave both theoretical and practical knowledge, and gave the necessary tools to use when critically appraising RCT.”
“it was very thorough, easy to listen and slides to compliment verbal info provided”
“Best £15 I've ever spent, easy to follow and the layout of each section good.”
“Useful, concise and informative”
About your trainer
- Erica Ison is the lead for the Critical Appraisal Skills Programme at OAP Ltd. She is an experienced trainer/facilitator in a range of fields and has worked with a variety of people from health and care professionals and third sector personnel to politicians, students, and members of the public.
- Erica carries out CASP Face to Face, Virtual and commissioned workshops.
- Erica designs and develops not only training and skills development courses, tailored for local, national, and international audiences, but also tools, checklists, and frameworks to support healthcare professionals in decision-making.
- Erica has experience in using the identification of unwarranted variation to increase value in the delivery of health services. Edited the NHS Atlases of Variation in Healthcare series since the first compendium Atlas appeared under the Quality Innovation Improvement & Prevention (QIPP) Right Care programme in 2010. Since then, she has overseen the writing, editing and production of three compendium atlases and six specialist Atlases including two editions of the Diagnostics Atlas and two of the Liver Disease Atlas.
Why learn with CASP?
- CASP training and resources help participants put knowledge into practice by learning how to systematically formulate questions, find research evidence, appraise research evidence and act on what they find.
- The philosophy of CASP has always been about sharing knowledge and understanding, working in ways that are non-hierarchical, multidisciplinary and using problem-based approaches. This ensures that it is accessible and has practical day-to-day application.
- The CASP programme has been running since 1993 and has 30 years of significant and unrivalled expertise in the delivery of training to healthcare professionals, from a wide variety of professions and disciplines. We are continuing to evolve into new ways of making our workshops accessible to those across the world, including transferring our workshop content to online learning so that participants can pace their study at their own time, having access from wherever they are.
- CASP has 8 critical appraisal tools, designed to be used when reading research. These include tools for systematic reviews, randomised controlled trials, cohort studies, case control studies, economic evaluations, diagnostic studies, qualitative studies and clinical prediction Rule.
- These are free to download from the CASP website and can be used by anyone under the Creative Commons License.
- These are used by healthcare organisations and universities world-wide, with over 400,000 downloads per year.
Ready to get started?
Gaining access to the “Introduction To The Critical Appraisal Of Randomised Controlled Trials” training course is quick and easy. Simply choose one of the options below:
Start this training course now
Purchase our RCT Module Bundle