Train the Trainer Course: Developing teaching skills for learning critical appraisal
This course will take place virtually over 3 days: 6th, 8th & 13th October 2021
The main purpose of the CASP Train the Trainer course is to help participants develop the competence and confidence needed to run a ‘CASP-style’ critical appraisal workshop.
To help participants develop their skills:
- in making sense of scientific evidence of effectiveness
- in training other people to develop critical appraisal skills using the CASP approach
- To increase confidence in appraising evidence of effectiveness through improved understanding of key concepts and terminology used in published biomedical and social sciences research
- To experience typical CASP workshops and appraise published papers covering two of the main study types – randomised controlled trial and systematic review – using structured checklists
- To practice calculating measures of risk using data from published research
- To practice teaching skills in a safe environment
- To practice small group facilitation
- To share experiences and observe different ways of taking feedback by watching others
- To have an opportunity to plan and pitch ideas for delivering CASP among internal and external colleagues
- To work and learn with others from a range or organisations and professions who want to improve critical appraisal skills among their networks
This course will take place online on the 6th, 8th & 13th October 2021. Participants will be expected to undertake preparatory work in between the training days to help work towards teaching critical appraisal skills to others.
Joining instructions and pre-reading of 2 published papers will be sent to participants ahead of the course. All workshops will be taught in English, and will take place in GMT time.
There are limited delegate places available to ensure that sessions permit discussion and interaction within the group, and with the lead trainer.
CPD certification, equivalent to 24 hours, is available to those completing the course.
Erica Ison is the lead for the Critical Appraisal Skills Programme. She is an experienced trainer/facilitator in a range of fields and has worked with a variety of people from health and care professionals and third sector personnel to politicians, students and members of the public. Erica also designs and develops training and skills development courses, tailored for local, national and international audiences. Erica is an Expert Adviser to the World Health Organization European Network of Healthy Cities, and one of her main responsibilities is training and skills development. Erica also worked on the European Union’s Equity Action programme training civil servants in assessing the impact of government policies on equity.
Bookings are open using Eventbrite – https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/casp-train-the-trainer-course-tickets-150889341081 alternatively if you would prefer to pay via invoice, please contact us to arrange – firstname.lastname@example.org